Although permanent teeth are meant to last a lifetime, there are times when an extraction in Houston, Texas, may be needed. A tooth may be too badly damaged to be repaired.
If you have a tooth extraction, our dentist will send you home to recover for several days. You will be given instructions to help minimize your discomfort and speed your recovery. These instructions include:
– Bite on a gauze pad for three to four hours following extraction to decrease bleeding and to allow a clot to form in the tooth socket. Change the gauze pad as needed.
– Hold ice to the affected area to reduce swelling. Apply ice for 10 minutes at a time.
– After your extraction, you should rest for at least 24 hours. You should also limit your activity for the next day or two.
– Do not rinse or spit vigorously for at least 24 hours.
– Take painkillers as prescribed by our dentist.
– Do not drink from a straw for at least 24 hours after extraction.
– Do not smoke, as this can hinder the healing process.
– After extraction, eat soft foods. Gradually begin eating solid foods again as the extraction site heals.
– Continue to brush and floss, but avoid the extraction site.
We welcome you to contact Smiley Dental Houston at 713.481.5776 today for more information and to schedule your next appointment.